Richard D. Smith, Ph.D.
Richard D. Smith, Ph.D., is a Battelle Fellow and Chief Scientist in the Biological Sciences Division and Director of Proteomics Research at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). Dick provides technical leadership for the proteomics and mass spectrometry group, working in tandem with Dave Koppenaal who has line management responsibilities. His research interest have broadly involved the development and application of advanced methods, instrumentation, and informatics capabilities and their applications in biological research, with particular emphasis on proteomics and metabolomics.
Dr. Smith is Director of the NIH Biomedical Technology Resource Center for Integrative Biology and the U.S. Department of Energy High Throughput Proteomics Facility at PNNL. He is an adjunct faculty member of the Departments of Chemistry at Washington State University, the University of Utah, and the University of Idaho. Dr. Smith has presented more than 350 invited or plenary lectures at national and international scientific meetings, and is the author or co-author of more than 700 publications. Dr. Smith holds thirty-seven patents and has been the recipient of eight R&D 100 Awards and the 2003 American Chemical Society Award for Analytical Chemistry.
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Utah, 1975
- B.Sc., Chemistry, Lowell Technological Institute, 1971
Honors and Awards
- 2003 American Chemical Society Award for Analytical Chemistry
- R&D 100 Award for development of automated capillary LC-FTICR MS instrumentation (2003)
- Induction to Battelle's Distinguished Inventors (2003)
- ICI list of most cited chemists, the DOE Energy 100 Award (2000)
- PNNL Mentor of the Year (2000)
- Battelle Inventor of the Year (2000)
- R&D 100 Award for development of the Electrodynamic Ion Funnel (1999)
- R&D 100 Awards for development of MICLEAN/MICAE Process (1998)
- R&D 100 Awards for development of Microdialyzer (1998)
- American Chemical Society
- American Society of Mass Spectrometry
- American Assoication for the Advancement of Science
- Protein Society
Ansong C, H Yoon, S Porwollik, H Mottaz-Brewer, B Ogata-Petritis, N Jaitly, JN Adkins, M McClelland, F Heffron, and RD Smith. 2009. "Global systems-level analysis of small RNA-mediated translational regulation in Salmonella: Implications for virulence and global protein translation," PLoS ONE, 4(3), e4809, 1-13.
Wu S, NM Lourette, N Tolic, R Zhao, EW Robinson, AV Tolmachev, RD Smith, and L Pasa-Tolic. 2009. "An Integrated Top-Down and Bottom-Up Strategy for Broadly Characterizing Protein Isoforms and Modifications," J. Proteome Res., 8, 1347-1357.
Qian WJ, T Liu, VA Petyuk, MA Gritsenko, BO Petritis, AD Polpitiya, A Kaushal, W Xiao, CC Finnerty, MG Jeschke, N Jaitly, ME Monroe, RJ Moore, LL Moldawer, RW Davis, RG Tompkins, DN Herndon, DG Camp II and RD Smith. 2009. "Large-Scale Multiplexed Quantitative Discovery Proteomics Enabled by the Use of an 18O-Labeled 'Universal' Reference Sample," J. Proteome Res., 8, 290-299.
Ding SJ, Y Wang, JM Jacobs, WJ Qian, F Yang, AV Tolmachev, X Du, W Wang, RJ Moore, ME Monroe, SO Purvine, K Waters, TH Heibeck, JN Adkins, DG Camp II, RL Klemke and RD Smith. 2008. "Quantitative Phosphoproteome Analysis of Lysophosphatidic Acid Induced Chemotaxis Applying Dual-Step 18O Labeling Coupled with Immobilized Metal-Ion Affinity Chromatography," J. Proteome Res., 7, 4215-4224.
Gupta N, S Tanner, N Jaitly, J Adkins, M Lipton, R Edwards, M Romine, A Osterman, V Bafna, RD Smith and P Pevzner. 2007. "Whole proteome analysis of post-translational modifications: applications of mass-spectrometry for proteogenomic annotation," Genome Research, 17, 1362-1377.