Jim Fredrickson, Ph.D
Dr. Fredrickson has focused his research efforts on the microbial ecology and biogeochemistry subsurface environments using geochemical and molecular approaches. These field research efforts, in combination with a multidisciplinary team, have led to defining the physical and geochemical properties and processes that control the composition and activities of microbial communities in the subsurface. More recently, Dr. Fredrickson has been investigating the geochemical and microbial factors that control the rate and extent of reduction and dissolution of Fe-oxides by dissimilatory iron-reducing bacteria. Integral to this research are investigations of the influence of these processes on the fate of inorganic contaminants including uranium and technetium.
- Ph.D., Soil Microbiology, Washington State University, 1984
- M.S., Soil Chemistry, Washington State University, 1982
- B.S., Soil Science, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, 1978
- American Academy of Microbiology
- Editorial Board Member of Environmental Microbiology
- Member of American Society for Microbiology, Past Chairman of Division N (Microbial Ecology)
- American Chemical Society
- Editor-in-Chief of Microbial Ecology
- Past Editorial Board Member of Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- Ad hoc reviewer for Geomicrobiology Journal, Journal of Bacteriology, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Environmental Science and Technology, Canadian Journal of Microbiology, Chemical Geology, and Molecular Ecology
- Divisional Group III Representative for the American Society for Microbiology (1998-2000)
Fredrickson J, JM Zachara, AE Plymale, SC Heald, JP McKinley, DW Kennedy, C Liu, and P Nachimuthu. 2009. "Oxidative dissolution potential of biogenic and abiogenic TcO2 in subsurface sediments." Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:2299-2313.
Fredrickson JK, SMW Li, EK Gaidamakova, VY Matrosova, M Zhai, HM Sulloway, JC Scholten, MG Brown, DL Balkwill, and MJ Daly. 2008. "Protein oxidation: key to bacterial desiccation resistance?" ISME J 2:393-403.
Fredrickson JK, MF Romine, AS Beliaev, JM Auchtung, ME Driscoll, TS Gardner, KH Nealson, AL Osterman, G Pinchuk, JL Reed, DA Rodionov, JLM Rodrigues, DA Saffarini, MH Serres, AM Spormann, IB Zhulin, and JM Tiedje. 2008. "Towards environmental systems biology of Shewanella." Nature Reviews Microbiology 6:592-603.
Fredrickson JK, and JM Zachara. 2008. "Electron transfer at the microbe-mineral interface: a grand challenge in biogeochemistry." Geobiology 6:245-253.
Pinchuk GE, DA Rodionov, C Yang, XQ Li, AL Osterman, E Dervyn, OV Geydebrekht, SB Reed, MF Romine, FR Collart, JH Scott, JK Fredrickson, and AS Beliaev. 2009. "Genomic reconstruction of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 metabolism reveals a previously uncharacterized machinery for lactate utilization." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106:2874-2879.